Tips to Speed up Slow Youtube Buffering
YouTube is one of the leading streaming video and video sharing website. It has thousands of visits per second from all over the world. It makes it easier to get knowledge and fun through the videos uploaded by other users due to its fast video streaming speed.
Since it has started getting more and more visitors, the video buffer problem has arisen. YouTube buffering causes interruption while watching a video. Complaints are reported regarding slow playing videos, lagging and buffering video.
Let us understand in details the reasons behind YouTube slow buffering problems and the simple & easy steps anyone can do without much experience in computers and technology.
WHY DOES YOUTUBE BUFFER?
YouTube buffers due to several reasons and because of that streaming video becomes difficult. With the help of this article, we are presenting here the selected reasons which were found in most of the cases of slow buffering and poor video streaming speed.
- Incorrect Browser Settings
- Lack of Internet Optimization
- Large Number of Add-ons and Extensions
- Third Party Toolbars
- Disk Space taking Internet Data
- Outdated Version of your Graphics Driver
- Disk and Registry Fragmentation
- Windows Updates are not installed
- Several processes running in the background
- Block the Excessive Startup Applications
- Low RAM and Low Graphics Memory
HOW DO I FIX YOUTUBE BUFFERING PROBLEM ON MY OWN?
We understand that not all of you are the tech-savvy people. That is why we try to provide only those selected solutions which are very easy, effective and secure in nature.
Are you wondering why does Youtube buffer? There are various things you can implement to fix slow buffering problem.
Reset the Web Browser Settings
Video buffer problem occurs when unsupported, unsafe and incorrect settings are set-up in your web browser. For example, having a number of unsupported settings enabled cause videos to run slower also slow down the streaming video.
Reset your web browser to the default setting to fix buffering problems. To do so, follow these guidelines:
- Close your web browser.
- Click Start, and then Control Panel.
- Click Network and Internet | Internet Options.
- A new dialog box called Internet Properties will open.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Under Reset Internet Explorer Settings section, click the Reset button.
- A confirmation box will appear on your screen.
- Mark Delete personal settings as checked, and click Reset button.
- After the process is successfully finished, click OK button to close.
- Re-open your web browser. You will notice a couple of changes in your web browsing and
Optimize the Speed of your Internet Connection
Internet speed optimization stands for analyzing the actual internet speed and taking appropriate measures to get most of it.
In many cases, we have observed that YouTube buffering issue was occurring because only a little portion of the actual internet speed was used. Problems similar to buffering video, slow video streaming speed and videos running slower or lagging in middle were also experienced. To overcome this issue, you have to take out the appropriate measures.
- Connect to the internet from an administrator user account.
- Download RegInOut Internet Optimizer and install it on your computer.
- After the installation is completed, launch the application.
- In the main user interface, click the Internet Optimizer tab to use the internet optimizing feature.
- Under Specify the Internet Speed frame, select your internet connection speed for best results.
- To begin the task, click the button Analyze, and then Optimize Internet button.
- Re-open your web browser after the above task is finished.
Note: For best results, select the correct internet speed in the above Step 5, and be sure to close your web browser before starting the actual process.
Disable Browser Add-Ons and Extensions
A web browser extension is nothing but an add-on feature to your web browser. It provides you access to various Microsoft or third party services within the roof of your web browser. Video buffer issue happens when all or most of the installed add-ons are enabled. Not all add- ons are important; as they make your web browser slower by using huge resources. This step will also help you to enhance the video streaming speed. Thus, disable teh add-ons that you don’t use or require.
- Open your web browser.
- Locate add-ons dialog box:
a. Internet Explorer: Click Tools | Manage Add-Ons.
b. Mozilla Firefox: Press Ctrl + Shift + A.
c. Google Chrome: Click the Wrench image at the top right corner. Select Tools, and then Extensions
d. Opera: Press Ctrl + Shift + E.
- One by one disable the third party add-ons that you don’t use. After doing so, close the dialog box.
Third Party Toolbars
Usually, many freeware software include a browser toolbar to specific websites or products. They are just because to enable the user to access the products and services of a specific company within their web browser.
In many cases, they reduce the performance of your web browser and thus video streaming buffer issue occurs. As toolbars use huge resources (like images, form controls, etc), they result in slow buffering.
Disable the third party toolbars to fix YouTube buffer problem:
- Open your web browser.
- Disable a third party toolbar:
a. Internet Explorer: Press Alt key, click View menu, select Toolbars, and then uncheck a toolbar.
b. Mozilla Firefox: Here also, press Alt key, click View | Toolbars, and uncheck a toolbar.
c. Google Chrome
d. Opera: Click Menu button at the top left side, and select Toolbars, and uncheck a toolbar.
- Re-open your web browser and reload YouTube.
Clean your Internet History and Privacy Information
When you visit a website, some temporary files are downloaded from the internet. Unfortunately, in most cases, they are not automatically deleted thus eats up your important disk space. For fixing YouTube buffering, it is essential to clean your internet history, privacy information and temporary internet files. This will help optimizing the browser speed by making adequate amount of free disk space.
- Download a System Cleaner application.
- Install the application from the administrator user account, and then run it from its desktop shortcut.
- First close your web browser.
- Mark the necessary boxes checked, for example, cookies, internet history, internet cache, internet
history and saved form info of supported web browsers.
- Click the Analyze button to know how much disk space you will be able to clean-up.
- After the result is appeared, click the Delete button to begin the task.
- Re-start your web browsing program.
Outdated Version of your Graphics Driver
A graphics driver also called as video driver or graphics accelerator has a significance role in the performance of online videos. YouTube buffering starts when your graphics driver is too old and needs to be updated.
You will have to visit the website of your graphics card manufacturer, and download the latest version of the graphics driver compatible for your machine. Since we all are not using graphics card of a single and specific company, it is impossible to give the accurate steps here. Refer to the graphics card or computer manual for more information.
Disk and Registry Fragmentation
As a hard disk is continuously used from the time you start your computer till you turn it off. Directly or indirectly, new files are created, downloaded & copied. They lead in disk fragmentation, i.e. a single file is divided into multiple parts thus lowering down the speed of reading its contents. This overall result in YouTube buffering, YouTube videos run slow and lag frequently. The solution is to defragment your hard disk using a built-in tool, called Disk Defragmenter.
- Click the Start button on your Taskbar.
- Click All Programs, point to Accessories | System Tools.
- Click Disk Defragmenter to launch the application.
- You will see a list of all the drives on your computer. Select all of them, and click the button
It is equally important to defragment your system registry. System Registry is the database containing your computer configurations, settings and user data. Over the period of time, it too gets fragmented making YouTube buffers.
- Download a Registry Defragmenter software, often a part of System Utilities software.
- Close all running programs after saving your data.
- In the left hand side panel, click Defragmenter tab.
- A welcome page will appear. Click the button Analyze to start studying the level of registry
- After the result is appeared, click Defragment Registry to start defragmenting your registry.
Download and Install Windows Updates
Downloading and installing Windows Updates is crucial for fixing YouTube buffering issue. Microsoft, time by time, publishes new security patches and updates to improve the internet performance and fix problems related to online videos.
- Click Start button on your Taskbar.
- Click All Programs, and then Windows Update.
- Under Check for Updates for your Computer box, click the Check for Updates button.
- Update checking process will start. Wait till it is finished.
- After the tool gets information about the new updates, they will appear in a text box. Mark all of them
checked, and then click Download and Install Updates button.
Note: It is highly recommended to save your work and close all the open programs before starting the above process. It is also important to do a system reboot after all the updates are successfully applied.
Stop the Background Processes & Services
YouTube buffering problem is experienced when there are lots of programs, processes and services running in the background. Stop most of them which you really don’t require.
- Click Start, and then Control Panel.
- Press F3 and type Resource Monitor in the Search Box at the top right hand side. Press ENTER.
- Right click an unnecessary process, and select Stop Process option. Follow the same for all other
third party processes/ services that you don’t require. Tip: Stopping an important process can make
your system unstable. If you are a beginner, do this task securely by using a Services Optimizer
Block the Excessive Startup Applications
More the start-up programs, higher the possibility of YouTube buffering. Stop the startup entries of the programs you don’t really need. This is possible with a built-in tool called System Configuration.
- Click Start | Run. Or press Windows Key + R. Or click Start, and then just move your mouse in the
Search box at the bottom.
- Type MsConfig and press ENTER key.
- System Configuration tool will open.
- Click the Startup tab, and disable one by one startup entries that you don’t require.
- Click Apply | OK.
- Restart the computer when you are prompted to do so.
Install New RAM and a Graphics Card
Random Access Memory (RAM) is a primary memory. Low primary memory, i.e. insufficient amount of RAM generally results in YouTube buffering, videos slow down and videos lagging problems. Increase your primary memory by purchasing and installing a new RAM. It is essential to have a good graphics card in order to avoid YouTube buffering problems. Buy a good graphics card and connect it to your computer.